Over the past year, I’ve slowly transitioned all of my smart home products to make sure HomeKit is enabled so I can use the Apple Home app as a central hub. The last batch of products I was looking at was a HomeKit-ready video surveillance system and a security system with sensors; This is where Abode’s HomeKit security package steps in to fully complete the smart home experience. Having a highly rated, reliable security system built to integrate with HomeKit was exactly what I was looking for.
The history and background of the house
Abode is known as the top-rated simple yet powerful smart home security solution and the only complete home security system that integrates with Apple HomeKit. Abode originally launched as a DIY home security company, offering professional-grade connected devices at affordable prices. Today, while Abode integrates other major smart home brands, including Alexa, Google Home, Nest, Sonos + and more, it remains the only home security provider with HomeKit integration.
How it works
Essentially, the Iota all-in-one security system (gateway + camera + sensor) communicates with the Home app and sends messages, alerts, and displays video from other connected devices in the Abode home security system. Abode HomeKit integration allows Apple users to control their home security and smart home the way they want on their iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or HomePod — whether using the Abode app for iOS, the Apple Home app, or voice control with Siri. The dedicated Abode app is great on its own, but the beauty of it is that it works very well with Apple’s HomeKit
Setting up the Iota all-in-one hub was amazingly smooth and easy to use:
- Connect the Iota system to power.
- Connect your Iota system to your router (using the included Ethernet cable).
- Download the Abode app from the AppStore.
- Follow setup instructions in the app.
- Once your Iota security system is set up, you can unplug the Ethernet cable and use your Wi-Fi connection to place the camera anywhere you want! (The system needs to be connected to a router only for initial setup.)
The perfect HomeKit companion
Since the Abode security system is designed to work with Apple’s HomeKit, all the privileges of being a HomeKit user can now be applied to the Abode security system and corresponding accessories. For example:
- Users can check their camera’s live feed on the Home app as well as organize and view their devices by room to make it easier to track every activity.
- Abode users can set up automations such as triggering actions based on activity triggered from Abode sensors such as a door sensor. So when the sensor realizes you’ve entered, it’ll turn on your lights, make sure the right song from your HomePod is playing, and alert anyone in the house that you’ve arrived through the HomeKit intercom.
- Users can create automations to disarm the Abode Iota alarm, unlock their doors, and turn on the lights when the garage door is opened. Smart devices must be smart enough to work together, regardless of brand.
Pricing and availability
The Abode HomeKit bundle — which includes 4 mini door sensors, 1x keypad, 1x acoustic glass breaker, 1x multi-sensor sensor, 1x water leak sensor, 1 x Key Fob, and 1x free month of professional monitoring — is now available for all 9to5Mac readers at 40% off, bringing Reduces the price from $800 to $499! Abode is also offering this bundle to one lucky reader – giveaway details below.
FTC: We use affiliate links to earn income. more.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: