Crystal Jade Diner suffers from a broken lamp piece, and the restaurant apologizes and assures safety is the priority

The floor lamp falls and crashes at the VivoCity Crystal Jade Pavilion on September 20

When dining out at a restaurant in Singapore, most of us don’t often find ourselves concerned about our safety.

But on the afternoon of Tuesday (September 20), Dr. Julian Tang and his brother were having a meal at Crystal Jade Pavilion in VivoCity when a floor lamp fell, narrowly lost them and crashed to the ground.

Photo courtesy of Julian Tang

Dr Tang, who described the incident as a “near-fatal” experience, said they were shocked when it occurred.

He also expressed disappointment about the way the staff handled the incident.

Crystal Jade has since apologized and assured customers that their safety is of paramount importance to the restaurant.

Restaurant lamp falls and cuts the customer

On September 15, Crystal Jade Singapore announced that its outlet in VivoCity has been revamped and is now known as Crystal Jade Pavilion.

However, a few days later on September 20 at 12.35 pm, Dr. Tang and his brother were dining in the new restaurant when the tall and heavy floor lamp fell.

Talking to MS . NewsHe said the lamp mistook his shoulder and drew his brother’s face “only in centimeters.”

Despite being lost narrowly, they did not escape without injury. His brother had a minor wound to his hand.

Photo courtesy of Julian Tang

In the photos, the floor lamp appears to have flipped and smashed to the floor, leaving glass debris on the carpeted floor.

Shards of glass could also be seen on their table.

Mesbah Restaurant is located

Photo courtesy of Julian Tang

Dr. Tang said that all of this happened in a split second. After the incident, he was surprised that the staff acted with great concern.

The two of them were commenting on how they feared to death while the others continued their work, as if nothing had happened.

Dr. Tang shudders as he thinks of the outcome if the lamp falls on his brother instead.

Eventually the employees waive the bill as compensation

While they were still recovering from the shock and cleaning themselves up, the assistant restaurant manager approached them with the bill in hand.

According to Dr. Tang, they requested the bill before the lamp went down.

Then the assistant manager offered them a 20% discount as a form of compensation.

But Dr. Tang knew that the restaurant was already offering a 20% discount as part of its new inaugural offer. Because of this, he felt that the assistant principal was lying right on his face.

When I contacted the assistant manager about this, she said she would waive the entire bill instead. Dr Tang shared that their meal cost less than S$80.

He said the experience was a “total nightmare” and said he would not return to the restaurant.

Crystal Jade apologizes for the accident

Dr Tang later relayed the chain of events in a comment on Crystal Jade Singapore’s Facebook page.

He described it as a “near-fatal experience” and criticized the restaurant for its “unhelpful and unapologetic staff”, as well as “poor food and service”.

In response, Crystal Jade Singapore posted an apology, assuring him that their team had been informed of the incident and that they would be in touch shortly.

According to Shin Min Daily News, Crystal Jade admitted that they could have handled the situation better. Now, the restaurant will take measures to ensure a better quality of service.

Additionally, as a precaution, all lights will be installed on the carpeted floor.

Crystal Jade assured customers that their safety and dining environment are important considerations to them.

Dr. Tang said MS . News that while Crystal Jade called him to apologize for the accident, the company did not offer him further compensation.

Do you have news you should share? Contact us by email at [email protected]

Image featured with permission from Julian Tang.

%d bloggers like this: