Reviews and recommendations are unbiased and products are selected independently. Postmedia may earn an affiliate commission from purchases made through links on this page.
“Amplify the cozy factor with texture, texture, and texture”
Time-honored Christmas carols encourage us to decorate the halls with sprigs of holly but with warm winter whites, luxurious sherpas and knit sweaters beckoning you, the idea of comfort and joy feels appealing too.
Whether you want to give your space a complete fun look or just add a few thoughtful touches, our holiday lineup is packed with comforters that will bring a soft touch of seasonal elegance to every corner of your home, from sherpa socks in black, the Urban Barn team says to: “Creating Christmas magic at home has never been so good.”
Many motifs have become holiday staples in countless homes, but over the years, they’ve taken new turns and this year is no exception, starting with Very Peri, Pantone’s 2022 color of the year.
The dark purple has blue-gray undertones and would look amazing against a green tree or a trendy flocked tree. Mix with purple tones like lavender and plum and/or add a touch of sparkle with silver or gold.
While it’s fun to update your holiday decor, remember the style and color of your existing decorations and consider your personal style before stocking up on all that glitter.
“Holiday decor works best when it matches your established aesthetic,” says Sheila Magro of HomeSense PR.
If your style is minimalist, for example, she suggests incorporating winter chalets and decorative accents in light-colored woods. Add color with deep cranberries, pomegranates, cool greens, and/or classic creams. “Vintage-look motifs paired with service clothes mixed and matched in modern holiday colors create a gorgeous tablescape ready for gatherings large or small.”
For a fun and nostalgic approach to the holidays, pair a wintry white and pretty blush with matte golds and bronzers. “Amplify the comfort factor with texture, texture, and texture,” says Magro.
Add plush sherpa and faux fur pillows and sweaters to gathering spots. “Nostalgic motifs paired with elegant stained-glass ornaments and modern lantern-style string lights are the perfect finishing touches to transform your home into a dream vacation fairytale at unbelievable prices.”
Home Depot Canada has three holiday themes this year:
• The Warm Nurtured collection has a neutral, warm feel and features rattan textures, wood accents, and pampas columns and columns.
• The Hushed Deco collection is chic and ornate, featuring white faux fur, metallic gold accents, white frosting, fringes, and tassels.
• Described as “farmhouse meets ski cabin,” the Winter Break collection is rustic and masculine with Nordic sensibilities. Create the luxury lodge touch with patterned, flowy, red and green textiles.
“Indigo’s 2022 Holiday collection was developed and designed for beauty, function, and longevity, but also to add meaning to the holiday season for every customer, no matter how they choose to celebrate,” says Pam McDermott, Indigo’s Vice President of Lifestyle.
“From artist-made dinnerware and eye-catching wine pitchers to irresistible fluffy fur stockings and recycled book ornaments, Indigo’s holiday decor provides elegant flair to enrich what matters most: spending time with loved ones.”
Decorate like a designer
When it’s time to decorate the halls, start with a blank slate, advises Patti Wilson of Patti Wilson Design, a full-service interior design firm. Consider her tips:
1. Choose the color scheme and theme of the decor. This can be tricky because people often collect and inherit decor and ornaments over the years, but you don’t have to view everything at once.
2. It’ll keep most of your furniture and decor in place, but cleaning fireplace mantles, dining room tables, and entryway consoles allows you to refocus your decor as a holiday theme. The same goes for sharing pictures in photo frames.
3. Follow the “one in, one out” rule. For each new item you enter into the room, remove one item. This ensures that you don’t overcrowd and that every holiday addition has room to shine.
4. Evergreens are a perfect way to carry the seasonal theme around the house, so go green in the form of faux or real wreaths, swags, bunches and balls. Beautiful and natural complements made of natural wood, such as wooden bowls and candle holders.
5. Set the mood with lighting. Whether it’s the natural glow from candlelight, a fireplace, string lights or table lamps with warm bulbs, lighting provides a warm, ambiance aesthetic that can give your space a touch of holiday decor.
6. Hit every room. In addition to a wreath-wrapped banister, candle-topped fireplace mantle and center dining table, add a seasonal flair to funky areas, like the mud room, bathroom, and bedroom. Homemade crafts and decorations are charming and economical but you can apply them in small doses.
7. Be warm. Layered pillows, weighted throws, and area rugs contribute to the cocooning effect. Look for lush, luxurious fabrics and textures like velvet, rompers, fleece, and faux fur. Make sure to stay within the decorating theme and color palette you’ve chosen.