Reports have poured in since the start of the World Cup of angry supporters forced to pay £175 a night to stay in rubbish cabins with leaky toilets and six-hour waiting lists.
Qatar hastened to demolish a number of “fan villages” to accommodate the more than one million fans expected to travel to the country during the four-week tournament.
But many have complained that there are six-hour lines to enter the “sauna-like” cabins and that many sites remain unfinished.
On Sunday, a disgusted World Cup fan walked away from his accommodation despite paying more than £2,500.
The Sun Online has already revealed that the person our reporter visited was as hot as 37 degrees Celsius.
Two fan camps – the Zaafaran Fan Village Cabins and the Van Village Cabins Free Zone – were reported to have had major problems last night.
Reportedly, fans were left sleeping rough, having to find alternative accommodation or wait up to six hours because they were unable to access their pre-booked rooms.
Many fans have reported problems upon checking in – some even claiming they were simply told there was no room for them despite having a booking confirmation after paying hundreds of pounds.
Those who survived complained that the conditions were not worth the price they paid for accommodation at the World Cup.
Most read in the 2022 World Cup
Earlier on Wednesday, tensions were reported to have spilled over, as one official was seen trying to maintain order in the fan zone.
The country’s supreme committee confirmed to The Sun Online that it was aware of the problems facing fans.
They confirmed that they would provide the fans with a full refund and free alternative accommodation.
In a statement, the Qatar Supreme Committee told The Sun Online: “We are aware that a number of fans have experienced delays in checking-in to selected Fan Village accommodation due to the negligence of the owner and operator.
“A section of the units in these facilities, which are being delivered and managed by various private parties, have not met the required standards that have been announced to the masses.
He added, “While these sites are managed by independent commercial entities, addressing these issues remains a top priority for the SC.
“Fans who are severely impacted by this issue are being offered full refunds as well as alternative accommodations that will be free for the duration of their stay.”
Fans severely impacted by this issue are offered full refunds as well as alternative accommodations that will be free for the duration of their stay.
Qatar Supreme Committee
Supporters arriving at their accommodation in recent days have described the fans’ villages as “unfinished”, with photographs showing workers still on site, and piles of rubble littering the gardens.
“The beds are so hard and your room is only cleaned every three days – I had to hunt down towels or toiletries,” one American fan staying at the Saffron until Friday told The Sun Online.
“There is a lot of activity at the front desk with many waiting too long to ask questions or check-in.”
“The wait does not surprise me.”
Another football fan, who had also traveled from the US, compared the situation to the infamous Fyre Festival where hundreds of people were left stranded without food and water.
“This is outrage and we are now looking for other options as we were officially robbed,” he said.
“Check-in at Saffron is a huge disaster. Waiting over four hours for one room.”
Another fan, who traveled nearly 7,000 miles to be in Qatar from Canada, said the Free Zone Fan Village was “a complete disaster”.
“People have been waiting for over four hours and all the staff just disappeared saying most rooms are not ready or people haven’t left before,” he said.
He got to the fan area at 10am, his bags were taken away, but he didn’t get a room until 4am.
Another caterer complained of a leaky shower and toilet in his cabin, as well as high food prices and terrible transport links to the stadiums.
He urged all fans to use taxis.
The tiny container-style cabin sleeps two people in a cramped bedroom with an en-suite shower – and the metal structures are left out in the hot sun.
The sites have little shade – but have food stands, big screens to watch the games, and supermarkets on site.
Football fans also vented their frustration on social media, with one Saudi football fan sharing videos of huge crowds gathered outside the village.
Police were reportedly called in to help maintain order among frustrated football fans.
He accused the authorities of “overbooking” the site – claiming that many fans were left without any accommodation at all.
A dedicated ‘World Cup Fans’ account posts a long post about the mode to over 4,000 followers.
The account – which provides information on tickets and accommodation for fans – vented about the situation in Al-Qaryatayn “turning fans’ joy into misery”.
“Hundreds of fans from different countries of the world who confirmed reservations in the Fan Villages have suffered and continue to suffer from the mismanagement of the Fan Villages,” she wrote.
And he added: “The majority of the rooms have been received and are in a dirty state in the full sense of the word and not suitable for human habitation.
“The majority of cabins have an air conditioning problem, there is no solution, and they have become more like saunas, especially during the day.”
Qatar has already faced questions about staging the World Cup – with reports weeks before the start that the country simply wasn’t ready.
Confusion over the sale of beer, infrastructure problems and reports of crowd trouble in the fan zone had already surfaced.
The tiny country is expected to welcome over a million fans during the tournament – when the country’s population is just 2.9 million.
Billions have been spent trying to prepare the nation for its first attempt at holding an event of this magnitude.