The jury said Lassalle’s victim was shot in front of her husband and children

“A bullet to the head is intolerable,” the prosecutor said as the trial of the trio accused of killing Osvaldo Pineda Melgar in 2019 began.

Article content

The jury in the trial of three men accused in the death of Osvaldo Pineda Melgar, a resident of LaSalle, was provided with a scandalous summary of the case that they will hear in Gwen Court.

Ad 2

Article content

“Osvaldo was also known by the nickname Loco, his nickname. He was shot in the head. Prosecutor Nadia Birubi said in her opening statement that there was a bullet to the head on the morning of September 16, 2019 in front of his wife and two children who were at the time aged nine and four.”

Article content

“Sept. 16, 2019, had the charisma of a regular Monday morning as he helps a father prepare his children for school.”

Birubi said that suddenly the door to the family’s apartment on Bedard Street opened, and three men broke in.

“Osvaldo mentioned to his wife at that moment that the individuals were there to rob. The exact term he used was: ‘They will rob us,'” the prosecutor said while summarizing the case that is expected to take weeks to complete.

Advertising 3

Article content

As one man grabbed the 26-year-old father’s hair, another asked, “Where’s the stock?” The victim was dragged into the bedroom.

Birubi said Pineda Melgar’s wife was on the bed in the room with their four-year-old daughter. Their nine-year-old son came into the same bedroom seconds later.

“The moment the fatal shot was fired, all three were present in the room,” said Birubi.

A man searched the bedroom closet and found some chains, before another man fired the shot in the back of the victim’s head. The third man was in another part of the apartment looking for something.

“A bullet to the head is unforgivable,” said Birubi, explaining the cause of death.

The man who allegedly fired the fatal shot was Jeffrey Rommel “The Devil” Nusinor, 29. Birubi said he was the first man to enter the family home. The other accused, the “flawless” Gretsky, Marcellus, 31, is the man who searched the treasury and found the chains. Both are accused of first-degree murder. Birubi said Marcellus was wearing a mask when the men broke into the house.

Advertising 4

Article content

The third man, Omar “Pooh” Aragon, 35, is allegedly the one who searched other parts of the apartment. He is accused of manslaughter.

Birubi said the mask allegedly worn by Marcellus was recovered at an address adjacent to where the murder took place. It was analyzed and found on it was the DNA of Marcellus.

The firearm used in the killing has not yet been recovered.

The prosecutor said the key to the investigation was the two cars the three men used when they fled the scene. One was a blue Land Rover and the other a gray Malibu. Both cars were rented and equipped with GPS signals. Surveillance cameras on Bedard Street and nearby roads recorded the arrival of the vehicles before the shooting and the route they took after Pineda Melgar’s murder.

Advertising 5

Article content

The night before the shooting, Nusinoor was stopped for speeding by two Tribune police officers and went to a bar in that town before sleeping in the Aragonese house. Hours after the shooting, Birubi said, he flew under an assumed name to Calgary, using a ticket his girlfriend had bought.

The first witness called to testify was Laurie Desjardins, the Terbonne police officer who pulled Nosinor with her partner. She said they set up a radar operation on Gascon Road. Late that night because speeding drivers are a problem in that area. A Land Rover Nauzinor SUV traveling at 84 km/h was recorded in a 50 km area at 11:25 p.m.

Desjardins said she issued a ticket to Nauzinor without incident, but that he apparently recorded everything on his mobile phone. She also said she ended up seeing him again, over an hour later, inside the Ogascon Bar on Gascon Road. Part of her routine was to visit the bar, Desjardins said, adding that she was surprised to see the bar had so many customers after midnight on Sunday.

The police officer said that she asked Neusinur to come out and asked him to turn the tape down to the music playing inside.

The trial will resume on Friday.

[email protected]

Ad 1


Postmedia is committed to maintaining an active and civil forum for discussion and encouraging all readers to share their opinions on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour to be moderated before they appear on the Site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We’ve enabled email notifications – you’ll now receive an email if you get a response to your comment, if there’s an update to a comment thread you’re following or if it’s a comment follower user. Visit our Community Guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

%d bloggers like this: